11 June 2008

Ikei Performance Develops Hawaii’s High School Strength & Conditioning Program



Kamehameha High School Football (Kapalama Campus) has recently agreed to incorporate the training services of Ikei Performance in preparation for the 2008-09 season. Ikei Performance Founder and Owner Chad Ikei was born and raised on the island of Oahu, Hawaii and represented Team Hawaii Weightlifting in many National Championships which he brought home five gold medals back to the island. “I wouldn’t be at where I am today or have accomplished the things I have if it wasn’t for my island home. Hawaii has provided me with so much support, encouragement and opportunities. The people, the culture, just the island life itself are imbedded in my heart and I carry that where ever I go. Now that I have the opportunity to give back to the island that has given me so much, it’s a huge honor,” states Ikei as he reminisces the past.


Hawaii is known for producing many top professional athletes in sports such as football, baseball, soccer and volleyball not to mention many Olympians through the years. Ikei understand what potential Hawaii has when it comes to producing great athletes, “We have so many athletes that can move on to play at the next level here in Hawaii. But as a former Hawaii athlete myself it is easy to get side tracked of your goals. The distractions of the beach, commitment to help family, insecurities of leaving friends, differences in culture and one of the biggest obstacles, leaving the island causes many young athletes to fall short of success. My goal as a coach is to not only bring our strength & conditioning program to Kamehameha but to provide knowledge and insight of what obstacles every elite athlete faces and hope to encourage them to accept the challenge and go for it. Maybe because I’ve been in their shoes and I currently train many of Hawaii’s NFL players that one of them may listen, take initiative to lead by example and soon enough more will follow.”


According to Head Football Coach, David Stant, the athletes seem to be responding well to the program, “I’ve noticed a change in energy and have seen more kids motivated to train. In our most recent combine testing we had kids that were running 4.7-4.8 (seconds) drop their forty time down to 4.5-4.6 (sec), we even had one athlete run a sub 4.4. I’m very excited and pleased to have Chad Ikei as part of our program and look forward to what the kids will learn during the summer.”


Only time will tell what will come out of the program, but for now it seems as if success is starting to brew in the kettle. But for Ikei success is simple, “Not often does a head football coach reach out to another coach to ask for assistance, but coach Stant went above and beyond to help his team. This in itself is proof of a successful program. Sure winning games is of utmost importance, but understanding what tools to use to maximize your program is a sign of a great coach. As for me, I feel as if I’m being rewarded. It’s like hitting 2 birds with one stone, I get to give back to my island home but most of all I get to come HOME to do it.”


Pomaika’i Kamehameha











No comments: